One-off deal to send refugees to US
HOW DOES THE GOVERNMENT’S US REFUGEE DEAL WORK?
* Refugees who are now on Nauru and Papua New Guinea’s Manus Island will get the chance to resettle in the United States
* One-time only offer for up to 1250 asylum seekers
* Priority will be given to women, children and families
* Does not extend to people found not to be refugees
* Not available to any asylum seekers sent to Nauru or Manus Island in the future
* US Homeland Security officials have begun vetting refugees to decide which will be accepted
* US President Donald Trump described the deal as “dumb” during a fiery phone conversation with Prime Malcolm Turnbull shortly after his inauguration
* Vice-President Mike Pence reaffirmed the Trump administration’s reluctant commitment to the deal, during his visit to Australia on Saturday.